Why Care About Blood Glucose Levels?
High Blood Sugar: What does that mean?
High blood sugar is an elevated level of the sugar glucose levels in the blood.
Chronically elevated glucose levels are associated with and increased risk of several metabolic conditions, including:
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Hormone Imbalances
- Mood Disorders
- Certain Cancers, and more
Also, having blood glucose levels chronically elevated may lead to many other challenges that may prevent you from reaching your health and wellness goals you have set for yourself!
- Here are a few struggles you may experience:
- Struggling losing weight, especially around the midsection
- Frequent hunger and shakiness between meals
- Cravings for “high” carbohydrate-based foods
- Difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep
- Fatigue during the day, especially throughout meals
The most common causes of chronically elevated blood sugar are sedentary lifestyle, poor dietary choices, stress, and disrupted sleep.
On a good note, this can be a relatively simple issue to improve using dietary modifications, proper exercise, and targeted supplementation.
Here are some ways to improve high blood glucose:
- Increase your meal frequency and eat at least 4 small meals a day, eating every 3-4 hours.
- Avoid processed omega-6 fatty acids found in corn oil, soybean oil, vegetable oil and canola oil
- Get protein in every meal and snack
- Replace sugary food and refined carbs with more fiber rich vegetables and fruits.
- Focus on foods that are anti-inflammatory fats.
- Get at least 10,000 steps a day of movement
- Strength training at least 2X a week. This improves calcium retention in the bones, balance, shape of the body, improves lubrication in the joints, and many more advantages.
It will be also very important to talk with a professional (like me) and get on a targeted supplementation regimen. You really want to make sure what you are taking into the body is useable and needed. These days it is extremely hard, if not impossible, to get all the nutrition you need from nutrition alone, and ALL supplements are NOT created equal.
I offer a health quiz and 30-minute consultation to help identify what system you may be struggling with.